The Save Mart Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers in California and Nevada. It is home to a number of well-known brands in food retailing. You might have seen our banners that include Save Mart, Lucky, Lucky California and Food Maxx. We also have 4 distribution centers and SMART Refrigerated Transport, a trucking firm that transports dry groceries, frozen foods, ice and novelties to all of The Save Mart Companies stores. We are a locally and family owned business, headquartered in the heart of one of the greatest agricultural areas of our nation – the San Joaquin Valley.
The Modesto community is vibrant with great traditions, educational opportunities and multi-cultural lifestyles. Aside from mild weather year-round, Modesto allows for easy access to many major tourist attractions in California. To the west lies the San Francisco Bay Area (90-miles) and the Santa Cruz Beach (115-miles). To the east is the famed Gold Country “Mother Lode” (50-miles) and a little farther you can find the majestic Sierra Nevada mountain range, Lake Tahoe (180-miles) and Yosemite National Park (110-miles).
Some of our competitive benefits include: exceptionally generous benefits package (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K), flexible schedule options, Employee Connection (earn fun and valuable prizes!), Life Long Learning – Educational opportunities, Employee Association (discounted and free tuition options, contests, and support services).
Grow your CAREER and join us to share your Guest focus, passion about food and family, and pride in the Central Valley and our wonderful community!
We are currently recruiting for the position of:
Sr. Category Manager, Fruits and Vegetables
The Sr. Category Manager conducts category reviews to assess performance of across customer segments, stores and items. This role translates consumer segment data & insights into specific category assortment, merchandising, advertising/promotions and pricing strategies.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Conduct category reviews to assess performance of across customer segments, stores and items
- Translate consumer segment data & insights into specific category assortment, merchandising, advertising/promotions and pricing strategies
- Details out category plans and drives execution
- Coordinates across support teams and synthesizes inputs
- Designs, executes category initiatives
- Liaise between Merchandising and Consumer Analytics & Insight
Analytics & Insight team
- Support vendor negotiation for category initiatives (e.g., “category month” for specific categories)
- Develop a portfolio of customer-centric product offerings for assigned categories that promotes the unique banner identity and ensures that the banner is relevant in every market and drives customers to the stores
- Responsible for all aspects of product life cycle management to include understanding market demands, technology trends, and the competitive environment for assigned categories
- Through analytics, store visits, and other research elements, determines future product needs for assigned categories
- Determine product offerings and promotional plans for assigned categories to achieve operating results
- Work with the Merchandising and Marketing teams to ensure assigned categories are effectively merchandised for optimized customer experience and sales (“total store experience”) – to include teaching/training opportunities during store visits
- Develop and assist with the successful execution of the merchandise planning and allocation plan, to fulfill growth and revenue goals
- Support the banner’s strategic product roadmap for assigned area, to include product launch and product marketing in order to meet customer needs
- Serve as the primary interface with suppliers in day-to-day interactions, and effectively manages these relationships to support banner sales and profit goals
- Work collaboratively with Sourcing to define the cost of goods and provide promotional planning requirements in support of banner and cross-banner collaborative supplier negotiations
- Perform other duties as assigned
LOCATION: MODESTO, CA.
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Select partners, negotiate relationship terms, lead category reviews, evaluate vendor performance
- Effective communicator in a variety of settings
- Analytical Thinker – Approaches problems by using a logical, systematic, and sequential approach. Routinely uses numerical information in their work
- Skillful negotiator with both internal and external groups
- Customer Centered – dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Business Acumen – Knows how business works. Is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace
- Team Centered and Collaborative– Bring out the best in people; holds self and others accountable, makes fact-based decisions, integrity, makes expectations clear, understands big picture
- Has a keen knowledge of the marketplace, including competition, consumer behavior and demands and demographics
- A passionate expert of the products and services in the categories assigned; able to effectively demonstrate that passion to others
- Innovative and supports innovation; likes trying new things; willing to fail, in order to not miss out on new and innovated solutions
- Is results-oriented and demonstrates Excellence in Execution.
- Energy/Drive – Challenges self and others to perform. Enjoys working hard.
- Leads and handles change, deals well with ambiguity, and is able to adapt quickly in a nimble environment
- Visual merchandising – Knows how merchandise visually to attract customers
- Strong computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite ( Excel, Word, Power Point), 10/10 query management system, and Fresh Facts (Nielson) Data
Education: Four-year college degree or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience
Experience: Five years of directly related experience
Physical: Basic office and store environment: ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, stoop, use stairs, reach, pull and lift objects
- Business Acumen
- Business Results
- Customer Focus
- Leading People
The Save Mart Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we welcome resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diverse workforce.